Find out how we helped NHS 24 improve patient access to vital healthcare by consolidating multiple sites into a Sitecore content management system.
NHS 24 provides healthcare advice online and on the phone to people in Scotland. NHS 24 also manages regional and local community centres, offering local knowledge and walk-in services. The service recently launched NHS inform, a complementary website which expands the scope of online healthcare information and advice.
Paul Burns, Service Development Manager, NHS 24 Health Information Services, says, “The NHS 24 phone service gets around 115,000 calls every month. One of the main benefits of the website should be that it takes pressure off our call centre resources. Providing quick and easy access to professional, safe and trusted healthcare information via the web was a key driver for change.”
NHS 24's main objectives were to:
- Improve the way people access health information online.
- Optimise the way NHS 24 managed its web services.
- Rationalise the number of hosting and development suppliers and consolidate services.
- Make better use of growing in-house technical capability.
Burns says, “Eduserv has a strong footing in the healthcare environment from its work with NHS Direct and NHS Choices, so we were keen to benefit from its expertise. Also, Eduserv’s in-depth knowledge and development capabilities of the Sitecore content management system, which we wanted to use, confirmed Eduserv as the right choice as our digital partner.”
In partnership with the Atos Origin Alliance (AOA), we updated NHS inform and migrated NHS 24 and its intranet, bringing those sites and services on to a single Sitecore content management system. Sitecore CMS enables NHS 24 to manage content more effectively so that information is consistent and accurate, and sites are simpler and easier for users to navigate.
Mark Donovan, Managing Director, Atos Origin Alliance, said, "We partnered with Eduserv because they are creative and flexible when it comes to designing and delivering highly-focused customer solutions.”
To help NHS 24 develop and enhance its online services we worked with AOA to create microsite templates, which NHS 24 can use to develop new zones and content. Zones provide site visitors with a quick way to access detailed information and resources on specific health issues.
Other enhancements include improving access for people with learning difficulties, for example, through providing an audio version of every page. AOA and Eduserv are providing NHS 24 with continuing support for the websites, which are being hosted at AOA's data centre.
- Healthcare information is faster and easier to access for the community.
- Self-build microsite templates to make launching new content faster and easier.
- NHS 24 can launch a typical 800-page healthcare zone in as little as three months.
- Easier to increase the volume of home-grown, Scottish healthcare content versus syndicated information.
- Significantly increased NHS 24’s ability to manage and take ownership of sophisticated web services.
- Far exceeded project delivery target with websites live in two months.